I’m not in the habit of linking to mp3 blogs but Kvelertak’s 2007 demo Westcoast Hardcore is not exactly readily available down your local HMV.
I’m a huge fan of Kvelertak’s self-titled debut so despite the expectedly rough quality, it was a fascinating listen.
A couple of things stand out.
- The addition of a third guitarist following the recording of the demo really beefed up the Kvelertak sound.
- In the intervening years between demo and album they somehow learned how to write amazing hooks and riffs.
- They had a song called like Suck My Glock. Really.
- Mjød arrived almost perfectly formed – a standout hit even when recorded in a Norwegian bedroom.
- Kurt Ballou should be credited as the seventh member of the band for the job he did on the their guitar tone and rush of sound.
It’s a curio but worth a listen if you like Kvelertak. Which I do.
Sorry for sparse postage. New flat, shite (temporary) mobile broadband that’s slower than late 90s dial-up. Three Mobile? Wee Mobile more like.